Mission, Goals, and Objectives
Operations Analysis and Research (OAR) is a comprehensive source for information about Hampton University and a repository for data that may be used to support planning, policy formulation, and strategic decision-making. A fundamental goal of OAR is to collect, analyze, and interpret data pertaining to a range of operational activities at Hampton University and to maintain an archive of these data.
The unit coordinates the acquisition of data files and reports for submission to federal, state, and local educational reporting agencies. These include all Integrated Post-secondary Educational Data System (IPEDS) surveys, NCAA reports, and other federal requirements such as the Student Right-To-Know Act and the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act. Additionally, the office supports the self-study process required for maintaining accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It is the responsibility of OAR to collect and analyze comparative data from peer institutions.
In all of its activities, the office will ensure the confidentiality of sensitive information and the anonymity of individuals. The office will also ensure that information is released only in appropriate individuals and groups in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
The goals of OAR at Hampton University are to accomplish the following:
- Provide users with information and analysis that is relevant and responsive to policy-making and decision-making.
- Encourage the uses of the resources of OAR by maintaining a service orientation to the university community.
- Provide institutional research products that are accepted as accurate and reliable and maintain a high level of confidence in the OAR program by the university community.
- Develop an archive of resources that will support future re-accreditation and self-study efforts.
- Develop the technical capacity to integrate institutional research data and information into the knowledge base of the institution.
Activities carried out by this unit are designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To examine departments as to their level of efficiency, effectiveness and achievement of stated goals and objectives.
- To complete the required federal, state and institutional reports in addition to other reports of interest to the university.
- To audit departments and units to insure that the integrity of their financial operations is maintained and that policies, rules and procedures are strictly followed.
- To monitor all aspects of the athletic program at the university.